Tuesday, March 24, 2009

made in Voyage!!!

Well, I'm not big on blogging, but I wanted to do this to create some sense of balance with "leah says...."'s blog. Not to give you the impression that I will be presenting some alternative sense of perception of life in contrast to hers.... I'm just expanding on her stuff, at the same time as promoting her blog. Leah is my girlfriend, who I looooooooove dearly, and I PROMISE!!! to make you vomit at times with my gushing over her.

So, we just got back from Taos' Spring Beer Fest held saturday night, March 21st at Taos Ski valley. I was a smidge skeptical because I really couldn't find out prior to the event which breweries were gonna be there... Let me tell ya, I was impressed!! Here's a short list (from what my beer-befuddled mind can muster, my apologies if I forgot anyone) of who was there:

New Mexico Breweries

  • Chama River
  • Marble
  • Blue Corn
  • Santa Fe
  • Eske's
  • Rio Grande

Colorado Breweries

  • Left Hand
  • Breckenridge
  • SKA
  • Odell
  • Great Divide
  • New Belgium

California Breweries

  • Stone
  • Pyramid

Oregon Breweries

  • Full Sail

Montana!!!?!?!?

  • Big Sky

Others

  • I saw a table that was promoting Guiness and Murphy's, but never visited it...

Some favorites you ask? Well I had never tasted Stone's Porter ( http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/smoked/index.html) and walked away really impressed with it. Also the Big Sky "Moose Drool", ( http://www.bigskybrew.com/index.aspx/Our_Beers/Moose_Drool )I was uber impressed with - I think I went back 3 times. Also, Session Lager by Full Sail ( http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session.cfm?CFID=6421463&CFTOKEN=50713031) was really tasty and I DO intend to pick some up for our next dinner on the patio.

Leah was in love with Marble's Apricot Sour, a seasonal they had just released this last week. And I did hear some buzz about a Raspberry, I do remember tasting it, but can't remember who produced it - probably because, I'm sorry, it just wasn't that memorable. Some other Fruit or Vegetable beers that I was fortunate enough to try were a Ginger beer, unfortunately I can't remember the brewery... And Eske's Green chile beer, which WAS spicy, and very interesting - I just can't see myself drinking a whole pint of it - but in the spirit of open-mindedness, when I do visit Eske's I will ask them what type of pub fare they like to pair with it. I was floored though when Leah's mom Linda said she "...really liked that 'bastard' beer up on the second floor". We both LOL'd when we realized she was talking about Stone's Arrogant Bastard ( http://www.arrogantbastard.com/index2.html).

On the way up to Taos on Saturday, Leah, myself and her mother stopped at 2nd St. Brewing ( http://www.secondstreetbrewery.com/ ) in Santa Fe for an early lunch and to sample the fare (er... tranlated "beer'). We did a sampler, which for those of you who don't make breweries very often, is a tray of small samples of a brewery's offerings. We all really liked their Old Pecos Porter and the Cream Stout. I did have their Irish Red with my reuben, which was very drinkable (the beer, not the reuben). I also had to get a t-shirt!!!

We came back a little hung over on Sunday, but had to stop and eat at Michael's Kitchen in Taos. Apparently alot of the locals go there, as well as the tourists, 'cause the place was packed!! and after our late breakfast we made our way home to 'Burque. Despite our condition, Leah and I worked on our patio garden when we got back.

Not bad for a weekend if I do say so myself.... Until our next adventure.


1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe this was a week ago already! I can't wait til our next adventure, baby. Love you!

    ReplyDelete