Tuesday, October 27, 2009

brrrrrrrring on the beer!

In keeping with tradition, I have put this off for as long as possible.

Since then:

* the holiday ale has been bottled (bottle-conditioned) and I have sampled a few, as well as given (probably too many) away. We are going to call it "Reinbeer 2009" or "Reinbeer 2.0", the jury's still out. Leah has been working on the beer label with phenomenal progress. However, I am starting a 2nd batch this weekend that I'm going to have to push. Considering, in visiting a few of the in-laws in the last couple of months, there were still bottles of last years porter that still have not yet been opened, so I'm not too worried about not giving it enough time to mellow. Fermentation was pretty much complete by the 3rd week on batch 1, and I'm thinking I will reduce the spices on batch 2 by a hair. And no, no wort chiller yet, but we have a nice new refridgerator that has ice-making capability so my water-baths should go alot more efficiently.


*I attended Marble Septemberfest (linking to another blogger's experience because, frankly, he blogs way better than I do!!) but missed out on Hopfest. I loved the "From the Wood #2" by Marble at Septemberfest - a bourbon barrel cask-conditioned ale with a knock-your-socks-off ABV ~9% and smooth whiskey like flavor that I immediately c0mpared to Crown Royal. Leah, my better half and consummate Crown Royal afficionado, agreed, and we proceeded to burn our cold hard cash on pints of that for the rest of the afternoon. It is worth noting that subsequent visits to Marble and sampling the "Wood" (I couldn't help snickering when I heard a bonny lass say to one of the bartenders "Gimme the Wood") that it had mellowed significantly since that first sip.


*I had to take Leah out for Indian food, since she had never been and I was hunkerin' for some curry, and discovered this virtually unknown Kenyan (yeah!!! I know!!!) beer Tusker. A light, unfiltered American Adjunct lager, with sweet, floral notes. Sweet on the tongue, with little dryness. Cool, refreshing, a good contrast-pairing for spicy food.


*And I have made the commitment to

1)improve my beer knowledge and join Dukes of Ale - the local homebrewers and tasters organization.


And 3) plan 2010's brews incorporating some new kit (including a notebook) for an all-grain recipe - given space available in our tiny, yet totally comfy and cute, place.

4) I have visited most of the breweries/brewpubs in the state, but there are still a few outliers I have yet to try - Wellhead in Artesia, and Three Rivers Brewery in Farmington, and Socorro Springs in (wait for it..... wait for it......) Socorro!. I will be posting my reviews in the newly discovered Beer Mapping Project!

1 comment: